Choosing your bridal party can either be the easiest or the hardest decision you have to make for your wedding. So how do you get the bridesmaids and groomsmen you want and at the same time keep everybody happy?
The people you choose to have in your bridal party are often the ones who have played important roles in your life. They might be your best friend, your sister or your cousin. But deciding who to ask can be harder than you first thought.
Tips for choosing the right people for your wedding party
* Choose someone close to you to be your maid of honour.
* Choose people who are willing and able to devote the time and energy and who will work well together.
* A good way to diffuse any feelings of ill will from overlooked candidates is to allocate them other key tasks like doing a reading or ushering.
* Don’t worry if you think your attendants are ‘too married’, too old, too young or too tall. The important thing is what it means to have them by your side at the wedding.
* Don’t include anyone in your bridal party who really isn’t necessary. If you think your wedding will be fine without a flower girl then don’t have one.
* There is no need to keep to a particular number to even out sides. You can have four bridesmaids and three groomsmen – it won’t ruin your wedding.
* It might be a good idea to ask your fiance’s sister to be bridesmaid. Even if you’re not that close, this is often a diplomatic decision, which can help score points with the in-laws.
* Don’t wait until the day of the wedding to introduce your bridal party to your family or each other. You will enjoy yourself a lot more if you are not always making sure every attendant has someone to talk to.